Thursday, April 22, 2010

We are not servants, but friends.

9"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. 11I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. 12My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. 14You are my friends if you do what I command. 15I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. 16You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. 17This is my command: Love each other" (John 15:9-17).
The freedom and peace Jesus talked about had to do not only with material things, but also with anything that generated undue anxiety. Despite the constant turmoil that surrounded Jesus, from the angry religious leaders to the constant crowds pressing in on Him, He displayed a remarkable calmness that proved the value of detachment that Jesus had from whatever could disturb His inner peace. The promise of peace was a promise Jesus wanted to share with His followers (John 14:27).
As concerned as Jesus was about spreading His Good News, He is not compulsive or driven like so many people with a mission. He lived His life, enjoying each day, making new friends, and maintaining warm relationships with His old friends. This, too, could be considered part of His Good News. He taught by His example how people could live with joy and serenity, and not allow themselves to be so driven that they lose their peace of mind and sense of balance. Through it all, they can enjoy an intimate relationship with God, which is built into the essence of being fully human.

Peace and love,

Sue


"Be still and know that I am God"(Psalm 46:10)





No comments:

Post a Comment