Friday, April 30, 2010

Love as Jesus loves

23"Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. 24He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me". (John 14:23-24)

But how do we show our love for one another? Well, how do you show someone close to you that you love them? There are many different responses to that, but eventually it all comes down to this: spending time with them. But wait! Jesus also said in John 14 that “if you love me, you will obey my teaching.” That certainly is true. We might take note of the order of his statement, however: if this, then that. Love comes before, and thus prompts, obedience. How will we know what to obey if we don’t check in with him for orders first?

This is why an understanding of the Scriptures and prayer as central for the disciple of Jesus in having daily communion with God. There are many spiritual disciplines, but these two are foundational both in the life of Jesus and in Scripture itself.

We must develop thehabit of spending time with God each day in two ways. Reading from his Word for wisdom, nurture, sharpening, help, etc. fills us with his instruction, shapes us for purity and action, and equips us to remain in his will and avoid the pitfalls of sin which harm us. Spending time in prayer positions us for God to transform us by the Holy Spirit who does his work in us. It is time spent both in speaking and listening to God.

We also need to develop the human element of community made effective by Christ’s presence among us. People need people; nobody needs to go it alone. Jesus taught that we need one another for help and support.
We’re on the journey together, discovering real life from Jesus in community with one another.

Peace and love,

Sue


"Be still and know that I am God"(Psalm 46:10)





No comments:

Post a Comment