Thursday, April 8, 2010

Come Holy Spirit

Jesus Promises the Holy Spirit will be with us.

15"If you love me, you will obey what I command. 16And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever— 17the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be[c] in you. 18I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. 19Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. 20On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. 21Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him."(John 14:15-21)

The Holy Spirit is one of the three persons of God: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For many of us, this is a difficult concept to grasp. The Bible declares that there is only one living God, yet we learn from scripture that He comprises three separate personages. One way to partially visualize this concept is to examine the nature of water (H2O). Water is a single compound that can exist in three states – liquid, ice and vapor. An egg is another picture. It is comprised of the white, the yoke and the shell, yet it is still one egg. Of course, by no means do these examples paint a complete picture of our God, but they are illustrative of the fact that His three “persons” in no way invalidate His oneness.

The Holy Spirit is not a vague, ethereal life force. He is not impersonal or unthinking. The Holy Spirit is a “person” equal in every way with God, the Father, and God, the Son. The Bible tells us that all the characteristics of God apparent in the Father and the Son are equally apparent in the Holy Spirit.

In John, we learn that the Holy Spirit is our Counselor and teacher: “But the Counselor, which is the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said to you.”

The Holy Spirit is the guiding light of our lives and the life of the Christian Church. When in doubt, pray to the Holy Spirit, that the Spirit will "teach you all things."

Prayer to the Holy Spirit

Loving Spirit of Wisdom,
guide our thoughts and our memories.

In the light of your love,
may we see
what is important for us to remember,
what is important for us to
hold to our hearts,
and what we need simply to
let go of in peace,

for we trust you to be our guide
even when the path
seems unclear to us.
Through Jesus Christ,
Amen.

Peace and wisdom to you all,

Sue

"Be still and know that I am God"(Psalm 46:10)

No comments:

Post a Comment