Thursday, May 13, 2010

How do we sacrifice?

"12My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. 14You are my friends if you do what I command. 15I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. 16You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. 17This is my command: Love each other". (John 15:12-17)

There is a socially acceptable level of giving to those in need and that is what many people live by. They give the leftovers of their time and money, or they give only when it is convenient. But Jesus said that isn't good enough.His example of giving is the standard. He left the glory of heaven to come to earth and become a servant to the very people who would one day kill him. That is real sacrifice.
Jesus sacrifice is not about money, it is really about love. I guess that we have to ask ourselves what do we sacrifice. I am sure that all parents will say that they sacrifice for their children. We sacrifice for our friends in need. That is all good and should continue. However, is that the extent of our sacrifice? Jesus said that it was not enough to be good to those who love you; you must be good to those who are not good to you. That is not easy to do. But as Christians, we are called to love our enemies. Love is an outward sign of Christianity. "They will know we are Christians by our love". Love and sacrifice go together. What are we willing to do for those we love, even if they do not love us in return? Something to think about.

Peace and love,

Sue


"Be still and know that I am God"(Psalm 46:10)





No comments:

Post a Comment