Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Jesus must be first in our lives.

32"Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven. 33But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven.
34"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn " 'a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.
36a man's enemies will be the members of his own household.'
37"Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; 38and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.
(Matthew 10:32-38)

This is a difficult passage. Jesus is not telling us that we cannot love our relatives and friends. He is telling us that God must come first in our lives.
I think that this is why he is telling us this. If we love God and feel God's love for us, we cannot help but have love for others. This is because if we are Jesus centered, we will treat others as Jesus treated others.
Jesus loved his mother, Mary, and made sure that she would be provided for, when he was dying on the cross. He loved God and was doing the will of God, but still was concerned for his mother's well being.
It is the same for us, we must be centered on God. We too, must be willing to do God's will. However, in doing God's will, we cannot help but to be of service to others.

Peace and love,

Sue


"Then Jesus said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me". (Luke 9:23)

No comments:

Post a Comment