Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Jesus Prays for All Believers

20"My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: 23I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. 24"Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world. 25"Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me. 26I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them."(John 17:20-26)

Jesus prays for something of importance in this gospel — Jesus prays for us! “I do not pray for my disciples alone, I pray for all those who will believe in me through their word that they all may be one.” Jesus prays for all those who believe in him. He prays for you and for me.

What does Jesus pray for? He prays, first of all, that we may be one. We are called to work for unity and harmony among all believers.

Jesus also prays that we will be of one accord with God in all our thoughts and actions. He prays that we will always be in his company and that the love of God will always live in us.

That Jesus prays for us highlights the fact that we need prayers. Due to our fallen, wounded, nature, we can't go it alone. Thankfully the prayer of Jesus is effective. How could a loving Father not listen to the prayer of his only son?

It is a great comfort to realize that Jesus prays for us. In good times and in bad, in sickness and in health, in happiness and depression, in success and failure, in sorrow, in doubt, in temptation, in all our sundry and varied needs, it is the prayer of Jesus that sustains us.

The knowledge that Jesus prays for us gives us the courage and fortitude to be all that God calls us to be. In times of failure and sin Jesus gives us the hope and vision of ultimate success.

Gracious God,
you hear the prayers of Jesus, your Son,
who prays for us always,
even when we are weak and fail.

Help us to support each other
with the same love you have for us.
Without you, we can do nothing.

Amen.

Peace and Love,
Sue

"Be Still and know that I am God"

No comments:

Post a Comment