Monday, August 16, 2010

Do we follow the Pharisees of today?

42Jesus said to them, "If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and now am here. I have not come on my own; but he sent me. 43Why is my language not clear to you? Because you are unable to hear what I say. 44You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies. (John 8:42-44)

Why did the Pharisees dislike Jesus?
The Pharisees disliked Jesus for many reasons, two of which I will list here.
1.) He was forcing them outside their comfort zones. They were used to being in charge and knowing everything, and Jesus came and changed everything,in their eyes, at least. 2.) They liked the power they held over the Jewish people, and Jesus was "taking" their followers. He was a "threat" to their authority, and they did not like it.
Just because someone calls himself a religious leader doesn't mean that he is always preaching the message of Jesus, the "Good News". Even those in high places who are thought by many to speak for Jesus, may not be following in Jesus footsteps.
If what is being said is not loving as Jesus loved, it is not the message of Jesus. We need to be careful in this age, as Jesus warned in the first century, of those religious leaders who have their own agenda of prestige and power. We must not be afraid to stand up for what we believe is right and loving. We must not be afraid to challenge the status quo just as Jesus did in his time on earth. We may be shunned and persecuted for being true followers of Jesus, but we know we are in good company. Jesus will always be with us.

Peace and love,

Sue


"Then Jesus said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me". (Luke 9:23)

No comments:

Post a Comment