Tuesday, June 15, 2010

When we are weak, God is our strength.

14We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature.[c] For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it. (Romans 7:14-20)

I can relate to Paul's message here, because there I many times I wake up in the morning with the best of intentions to do good things during the day, and somehow instead, I allow the events of the day to rule me instead of my being focused on what I set out to do. I believe that the world is full of good people and that there are probably not many people who get up with the intention of doing wrong during the day. However, we seem to let the bad have control over us when the good is what we need to follow.
It is at these times when we feel defeated in not being able to accomplish what we set out to do, that we really need to rely on God's help. It is at these time when I realize that I need God in my life because I am not strong enough to always do the right thing. I am grateful that God's help is available during such times in my life.
We can be defeated by our own lack of strength and ability to handle what life throws our way. We wake up with the intention of following God's word and living a life dedicated to discipleship, but then our own human weakness gets in the way. These are the times we need to acknowledge our own shortcomings before God and ask for help. God will always be there to help us. God knows all about the weakness of the human condition, and does not turn away from us when we fall short of expectations and sin.
It is at these times when we feel most unlovable, that we can count on the mercy and love of God to be there for us. It is at these times of defeat that we can count on God's strength.
God is not disappointed with our weaknesses. I believe that God is disappointed when we do not turn to him for help. Because, our weakness is not in falling short of our intentions, our true weakness is in not asking for God's help to sustain us.
We must always remember that God is there for us to help and love us.

Peace and love,

Sue

"Then Jesus said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me". (Luke 9:23)





No comments:

Post a Comment