Saturday, January 23, 2010

Forgiveness

This past week I was tested on my ability to be loving, compassionate, and forgiving. I would like to say that I passed the test, but I did not. Being a follower of Jesus we have the responsibility to love our enemies, to forgive those who do wrong to us. This past week, I found that to be easier said than done. I was put in a situation where I had to show love to someone I felt was difficult to deal with. I did not do this. The only thing that I can say in my defense is that I realize that I did not do this. I realize that this was a lesson that I had to learn through experience. It is easy to love those who love us. Jesus said to "love your enemies", and I thought I understood the message. However, when it was time to put these words into actions, I missed the mark.
I am grateful for the lesson. It gave me the opportunity to realize that in order to do this, I must ask for God's help. It is not something that I can accomplish on my own. It is an important realization that in the past, I might not have recognized. It may make it a little easier to remember to seek God's help when faced with difficult people.
It is arrogant to believe that we can live as followers of Christ without always seeking his help when faced with situations that may cause us to be unloving. We cannot follow him without recognizing that he is leading the way. That may not make sense, but think about it. When we try to rely on ourselves to get through difficult situations, we often fail. If we keep our eyes on Jesus and call upon his assistance to help us when we are tested, success can be ours.

Peace and love to all,

Sue

"Be still and know that I am God"(Psalm 46:10)

No comments:

Post a Comment